Friday 23 October 2009

Crossword Puzzle


Across
1. Rank above Lieut.
5. It may be lost
9. Roger or Demi
14. Fire remains
15. ___-Mart
16. Make use
17. Final four grp.
18. Consumes
19. Baby insect
20. Audition
22. Samuel's Salt
23. AP rival
24. Alias
26. Black forest
32. MTV show
33. Company that went bankrupt in 2001
34. Money maker
38. Massachusetts destination
40. Actor Sal
41. Trig. ratio
42. Playing the fool in school
46. Sault ___ Marie
47. R&B Singer Ballard
49. Dad's wife, usually
52. Overseas calling requirement
56. Gerald's goodbye
58. Srgts.
59. Pained
60. Emphatic refusal
61. Cannes' Palme ___
62. Tenths of a
63. Gruwell and Brockovich
64. Hautbois
65. Yay!
Down
1. Mexican destination
2. Songwriter's org.
3. Temporary
4. Nipple
6. Swinging
7. Boo
8. Born Free's lioness
9. Paul Blart's job
10. Eggs
11. Canoe paddles
12. Tear apart
13. Israeli airline
18. Opposite of veto
21. Baltic capital
25. Breakout
27. UTE distributer
28. Curve
29. Crazy person
30. Termination
31. Heavy snow?
34. MTV for rednecks?
35. Spanish Mrs.
36. Nazi Rudolf
37. Savings
38. Bovine
39. Edward and Jules
41. Ear
43. Mgr. in chief
44. Sesame Street's Oscar the ______
45. African fly and a hint to this puzzle's theme
48. Guitarist Hashim
49. Manufactured
50. Smell
51. Short skirt
53. Delete
54. Matador's opponent
55. Gnaw
57. Looong time
Martin

6 comments:

  1. Hi Martin -
    Didn't want to give away anything to CC's folks so thought I'd place my questions here. Can you explain 47A and 48D? I'm not familiar with RES Ballard; and wanted EDDIE or AUDIE for Murphy, but neither works with the other fills. Otherwise a great puzzle with a clever theme. I look forward to your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! It should be EDDIE Murphy and not EDRIE Murphy! I can't read my own handwriting sometimes! I had to change the clue to Guitarist Hashim.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, by the way, the solutions are on the blog. Scroll down.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martin,
    Nice job on your crossword. I haven't tried making one since HS vocabulary homework and I remember the hanging letters. I'm sure getting a complete fill is one of the biggest challenges.

    I liked the theme, nice twist on a frequent crossword entry. It helped me get several of the answers I was missing.

    I never did get 18D and 32A. I need C.C. or Argyle to show/explain the answers! I had to look up 12D in the dictionary to assure myself I had the correct answer.

    It looks like you've made some changes in the last few minutes -- a work in progress. I'll check back again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opposite of VETO is ENACTO. I cheated: VETO is also a Spanish word.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete